Friday, November 28, 2008

Sick Baby

As you might have read yesterday, Caitlin hasn't been feeling too well. We didn't take her to the ER yesterday, but just watched her carefully here at home. Thanks to LaLa who gave me some pointers with her breathing effort.
Carmen and I headed out early this morning for the yearly black friday shopping. We shopped from 4-8am. Yes, it's crazy...I know! But we did find a few good deals. As soon as 8:00 came, I called the doctor's office and they said Caitlin could be seen at 9:20.
When I came home and got her up, she had a fever of 103.8 and was lethargic. I took her straight in and we saw the doc. We had another breathing treatment, but she still was wheezing and was just sitting in my lap. She would hold her head up, but only to turn it the other way. Definately no smiles for anyone. We were sent over to the hospital for a CBC, blood cultures, and a chest x-ray. She did great with those. The x-ray tech asked if she was always so calm - she just laid on the table and didn't even budge. I explained that she was quite active when she felt well, but it just let me know that she was indeed a sick little girl. We went back to the dr office after the tests to get the results. Turns out she has bilateral ear infections and bilateral pneumonia! Poor thing...no wonder she felt so bad. They gave her an antibiotic shot and said to come back tomorrow. Caitlin is usually squirmy with shots, as are most kids, so two nurses came in to give it. One held her legs while I held her arms and the other administered the shot. This medicine is thick and usually burns badly so it's not a pleasant experience for anyone. Today Caitlin hardly budged. She was asleep when I laid her on the table and she only opened her eyes when they gave her the shot. No crying, no squirming or anything - that's when I start to get nervous. I'd much rather have her crying and trying to get away! While waiting the required twenty minutes after the shot (to make sure she didn't have a reaction), I once again tried to give her a bottle. Imagine my delight when she drank half of it. That was better than she had been doing. Only then about thirty seconds later she threw up all over me and her. I was there by myself so I called to the nurse to help. She gave us some towels and I wiped off Caitlin, then proceeded to hand her to the dr who walked in! She held Caitlin while I wiped what I could off of my face, shirt, pants, shoes, chair, table, and floor!!! We changed her into a gown before heading home. They graciously offered me a gown, but I declined. Daddy sure would have a fit if both of us came home in gowns! As soon as we got home, he went to get some Pedialyte. Her fever had broke and she was beginning to feel some better. She has since taken another 2 1/2 hour nap and has kept down all of the pedialyte we've given her. Fever is going back up so she's taken her medicine again. Hopefully she will get some rest tonight and we'll go back tomorrow for another visit and probably another shot of Rocephin. I was scheduled to work this weekend, but you know how that goes. I've already called in for tomorrow and might not work Sunday - depends on how she's feeling. Please keep her in your prayers....



This was when we got home from the doctor. Caitlin's in her little gown that we put on after she got sick.

Caitlin drinking her Pedialyte. She does much better with a straw than with a sippy cup.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor little Caitlin her eyes really give away how bad she was feeling. We will keep her in our prayers. love Lala